Thursday, December 15, 2011

My quest to find the cheapest milk

My family drinks a lot of milk.  I mean, a lot.  Like at least a gallon a day.  So if I can find it 50 cents cheaper somewhere, this saves me $3.50 a week, $14 a month, over $150 a year, you get the picture.  I know HyVee has their two day sale starting Thursday and Friday and you can get a half gallon for 99 cents, and that is wonderful, but the limit is two.  Not gonna last long here. 

Walgreens in Yankton will also have their milk on sale from time to time, and I cannot for the life of me figure out their random sales on that, for just $2.99.  But you're also paying tax in South Dakota, so it ends up costing you $3.20 per gallon.  Now Norfolk's Walgreen's has Roberts milk, and will frequently go on sale (once again very random) for $3.29 a gallon.  You can get unlimited prints of Roberts 55 cents off one gallon of milk coupons HERE, which will then make that $2.74 when it's on sale.  Most of the Dollar General stores also carry Roberts milk, but the cost is $4.25 a gallon, so $3.70 with your coupon.  I've often times thought of using the $5 off a $25 purchase coupon on all milk. That means I would walk out with 6 gallons of milk (which isn't going to go bad in our fridge because it won't be there for long) for $16.70, making it $2.78 a piece.  I haven't ever done this before though, because I really think it would clear the shelf of all their milk!

And then you have the milk cards.  Freedom Station in Yankton used to have a milk card entitling you to a free gallon of milk after you've purchased so many.  The last time I asked for the milk card, I was given a punch card for so much off gas after you've spent so many dollars, so I'm thinking that deal is no longer available.

People's in Crofton does have a milk card, after you've purchased 12 milks there, you will get your 13th free.  Their Shurfine milk is priced at $3.59, so if you consider that eventually you will get one free, I think that works out to $3.29 a gallon.

Now that you think I'm completely crazy for paying attention to all these milk prices, do you have any locations that you have found that have milk for less?  I have a couple of friends that told me that Aldi in Omaha is the place to go with milk just under $2 there.  NICE!  Perhaps the purchase of a milk cow would work out well for us? ;)

0 comments:

Save 5% more your purchases!

About This Blog

Real life frugal living experiences are found here. Learn to cut your grocery bills by combining sales and coupons. Unleash the power of giving through SAVING!

Blog Archive

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP